Toothache - Common Causes and Remedies
A toothache refers to pain in or around the tooth, gums, and jaws. It does not always mean a cavity in the tooth. It can also occur when the nerve attached to a tooth is disturbed or if there is a reaction of the nerve inside a tooth's Pulp.
Common causes of toothache
• Tooth decay • Tooth trauma
• Cracked tooth • A hard or abnormal bite of food
• Loose or broken filling • Tooth eruption
• Infection in the gums (in babies & children)
• Grinding of teeth • Tooth fracture
Some other causes of toothache are
• Temporomandibular joint disorder, sinus, ear infections, and tension in the facial muscles, which can cause discomfort like a toothache. However, these problems are usually accompanied by a headache.
• Pain around the teeth and the jaws can also be a symptom of heart disease, such as angina'.
If these symptoms accompany a toothache consult a doctor immediately:
• Fever ' • Pain when you bite * Continuous pain
• Difficulty in breathing • Swelling around the • A foul taste In the mouth
or swallowing tooth area
Home remedies for toothaches
• Onions: Chew raw onion for a few minutes and then brush your teeth (to remove the smell ) Onions have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that help control a toothache They provide relief from pain also by killing the germs causing an infection.
* Salt and pepper: Mix some salt and pepper in a few drops of water and apply this paste
when a tooth becomes extremely sensitive Both salt and pepper have antibacterial,
anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
• Garlic: Mix a crushed garlic clove or garlic powder with black salt and apply on the affected tooth or chew a clove of garlic Garlic has antibiotic and medicinal properties and helps reduce tooth pain
• Fresh guava leaves Chew fresh guava leaves directly or boil and chew them to reduce inflammation. They are high in analgesic and antimicrobial properties that can reduce your toothache.
• Baking soda: Take a piece of cotton, add a little water, dip it in baking soda and apply on to the affected area Baking soda is used to heal some common diseases including toothache.
• Cotton soaked in clove oil: Soak some cotton in Clove oil, place on the sore area in your mouth, and' gently bite it. It may burn your gums for some time but it is very effective for a toothache.
How to prevent toothache
• Brush at least twice a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride.
• Reduce your sugar intake.
• After eating anything do not forget to gargle.
• To take proper care of your teeth, regular check-ups with a dentist are a must.