Blood Donor Day - 14th June 2014
"Safe Blood for Saving Mothers"
Every year 14th June is observed as Blood Donor Day around the world to raise awareness about the need for safe and blood products. It Is also meant to thank blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood.
This year, the World Health Organization (WHO)'s theme for the Blood Donor Day campaign Is "Safe Blood for Saving Mothers". As per WHO, every day about 800 women die from pregnancy or childbirth-related complications. Severe bleeding during delivery and after childbirth Is a major cause
of mortality, morbidity, and long-term disability. The campaign aims at increasing awareness about the need for timely access to safe blood and blood products in countries, as part of a comprehensive approach to preventing maternal deaths.
Blood donation saves lives - not only of women with pregnancy-related complications but also of patients with cancer, those undergoing major surgery, children with severe anemia, and accident victims.
"Save a Life “
* Donating blood improves the donor’s overall cardiovascular health. Increased levels of iron in the blood raise the chance of heart disease. Regular blood donations help men, in particular, to reduce the iron in their blood, thus reducing the chance of a heart attack by 88%.
* When you donate blood the body immediately begins to replenish the lost blood. New cells are produced by the marrow within 48 hours of donation and all the red blood cells are completely replaced within 1-2 months.this process of replenishment helps the body work more efficiently and stay healthy.
* Donating blood regularly improves fitness. Donating 450ml of blood burns 650 calories in a donor’s body.
* Before donation, the donor receives a free health screening plus a mini blood test the blood is also tested for major diseases and the donor is immediately informed in strict confidentiality if any of these tests are positive.
* Above all, donating blood gives a wonderful feeling of helping save a life.